Monday, February 24, 2014

And so it starts.....

I've been told I should write a book about my life because there is always something going on...not something exciting, like I'm out cavorting with movie stars or anything like that, but just my every day life always seems to have something happening.  There is no such thing as a normal, calm, nothing happens day in my life.  Not that I'm complaining - not a day goes by that I don't think, at least once, there but for the grace of God.....but still, I would love to have just one nice calm "normal" day.

Pick a day, any day, and something will have made it stand out from other days.  Sometimes I bring it on myself and sometimes it's just life happening...or maybe I always bring it on myself just by being.  No, that's way too philosophical for me!

I was so excited the other evening - I was at my Book Club get together and actually had a deep thought!   And people thought it made sense and liked the idea and I actually felt like a mature person.  That didn't last!  I mean, I am the person who majored in English Literature and then had to check books out of the library to tell me what everything I read actually meant - I never get the underlying, deep meaning of things. Does that make me superficial?  Something just clicked and I had to rudely interrupt the discussion to get my point made before I forgot it or lost my train of thought....where was I going with this?  Oh, yeah, that may have been the one un-normal normal thing that happened to me that day.

So, today started out pretty much like the usual week day -- sleeping just a couple of minutes too late (that darn snooze button!), rushing the girls up and out of the house, trying to make sure lunch and snack are packed and everyone is appropriately attired.  It's Monday, so it's trash day too and Ron drives the carpool and Aubrey doesn't want breakfast and Devon doesn't want what was made for her and we're all a little tired.  See? Life as usual.  Devon had spent the week-end in bed, sick with a stomach bug.  We're glad she's feeling well enough to go to school and thrilled that the rest of us dodged the bullet and still feel well.  Of course, half an hour after I get to work I get the phone call that Aubrey is back at home, sick.  So much for that thought!  And I had just finished telling my co-workers that we were all fine and only Devon had seemed to have gotten the bug.  So, Aubrey's home alone, something she usually really likes (no one to tell her to turn off the tv), Ron goes home at lunch and she's doing miserably well, I mean reasonably well, on her own, not a lot of phone calls to me at work (the typical day has at least two or three) and the day moves slowly on.  I forgot my lunch at home, also not unusual, but one of the guys very generously offers to buy me lunch - yea!  the day is picking up. A wholesaler stops by and, oh happy day!  her company had mistakenly gotten her Dunkin Donut gift cards to give to people, do I like DD?  I LOVE DD!  She gave me two :)  Even though I feel like I'm walking around in a fugue state, things may be looking up.  The day continues uneventfully until it's time to go and I do my nightly closing the office routine and leave. Unfortunately, I'm driving to pick up Devon from after care and BAM!  right into the back of a blue PT Cruiser stopped at the end of a very long line of cars at a red light.  Her car didn't look damaged, my car didn't look damaged, but now I am annoyed and aggravated  - and she wasn't too happy either! Fortunately, the clone that has replaced my husband was very calm and notified our insurance company for me and made dinner for Devon (because I forgot to put all the stuff in the crock pot this morning) and just went about his business as if it was no big deal.  I'm not complaining that Ron didn't get mad or upset, but what the hell?  Not even a "Nan, you really need to be more careful"?  To top it off, I was so proud of myself that I actually remembered at the time of the fender bender (do people still say that?)  that it is good to get a photo of the other car's damage, so I get out my smartphone (which hates me, another story) and "snap" a picture and wouldn't you know it, when I go to show it to Ron, and maybe attach it to our claim, it's not a photo - it's a (bad) video of the back of the PT Cruiser and the floor of my van.  So much for photographic evidence.

Well, it's late now, I finally have one girl asleep after melting down (she HAD to do a craft with me right now even though it's bath time and bed time...um, no?) and the other one not getting ready for bed even after having been read to on her Kindle which we got her for Hanukkah because we hoped it would make her read more. Says she can't sleep because she has a major headache (I can relate to those).   And nothing cures a headache at bedtime like Tylenol and tv.  Unh hunh.  The dog's out barking at the neighbors (like the twilight bark in 101 Dalmations only later) and the cats are all hiding, so I'll sign off for now.

Blog to you soon!
Nancy



4 comments:

  1. The reports of my being a clone have been greatly exaggerated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nan - Love it. :-) You're off to a great start.

    Ron - Too funny.

    ReplyDelete