Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Vying for the Worst Parent Award

I know everyone feels that they are the worst parent at various points in time, but how do we really know if we've actually hit that milestone?  Is it a one-time event that qualifies you or is it a cumulative award?  Is there a statute of limitations or is it a rolling time period?  I need to know....and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is not cumulative. . . or even just one day specific.

The other day, Devon and I went to the grocery store (aka the supermarket....do I keep dating myself with outdated words?) to pick up a couple of items, and when we got there, discovered that we were thirsty.  No biggie, we'll pick up a drink and pay for it with the rest of our purchases, right?  So, we walk in and we're in the produce department.  There's a big display of an appealing looking drink, not too large or expensive, and Devon and I decide it would just do the trick and we would like to try it.  We select 2 cans, opening one (black raspberry flavored) to share while we shop.  Devon didn't like it, but I did,  but regardless, I didn't really give it much thought as we continued throughout the store.  Somewhere along the way, I lost the can (oh, well) but we were just about done when we realized it was gone, so we finished up and headed home.  We still have our other can (cherry flavored), yet to be drunk, in with the rest of the food.


The food all gets put away, including the new cherry drink, which Devon and I think we're going to drink later.  I head out to my Book Club meeting (you've already heard of this event), and get a phone call in the middle from an hysterical Devon - Daddy won't let her drink her cherry drink.  She puts an incredulous Ron on the phone - did I really buy this drink for her?  It says right on it "contains caffeine, not to be given to pregnant women or children"!  How did I miss that?  Well, go figure, it's in TINY print on the can below the ingredients...I didn't read all that - I saw the display in the produce section and assumed (you know what they say about assuming things) it was a healthy fruit-type drink!
What would you think if you saw this display next to the berries in the produce section?  Wouldn't you just assume it was a somewhat healthy drink okay to share with your 7 year old?

Anyhow, that one event would definitely not put me in contention for the worst parent award, but it probably puts me into the contest.....

So, Aubrey stayed home again from school today.  Did we really think she was really sick still?  Probably not.  Tired and run down?  Maybe.  Anyhow, home she was.  By the time I got home from work (it's my early day, so it was around 3), she was going stir crazy being stuck in the house.  After Devon and her "twin" Isabella finished their homework, they decided they needed to go for a swim.  Yes, it was in the 80s (sorry you non-Floridians), but I thought the pool would still be mighty cold.  It took some convincing, but eventually I agreed to take them for a short swim before we headed off to volunteer at Second Harvest Food Bank (they love going).  Next thing I know, Aubrey is in her swimsuit walking out the door with the pool key.  Did I let her swim?  Yes, I am ashamed to admit it, I did.  After all, I didn't believe she had really been that sick and even if she really had been ill the day before, it was a short-lived stomach bug.  How's that for rationalizing?  So we all headed off to the pool - brrrrrr!  I was right the water was cold - but not too cold for the 3 girls to enjoy about an hour in the sunshine.


So that's 2 steps on the ladder of bad parenthood for me, right?   Fortunately not in the same day or with the same child, but still....like I said, is it cumulative?  Do you combine kids or is it child specific?

1 comment:

  1. It's always 2 steps forward and 1 step back with parenting. I figure as long as there is love in your heart, you're doing something right. :-)

    ReplyDelete