Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Are those the winds of change?

I'm sitting here listening to unbelievable winds.  Can't wait to see what it looks like in the morning...how many palm fronds fill the road, where our garbage pail is.....I sure hope all my animals are in for the night!  It almost sounds like surf, with ebbs and big, low crashes.

That was my favorite thing about our vacation this summer - our room overlooked the ocean and we were on a high floor, so we slept with the door to our balcony open at night and fell asleep to the sound of the
ocean waves crashing to shore.  I actually loved our vacation this summer - almost all of it (take away the girls' frequent fighting and the cost of food and it would have been perfect).  And I want to go back, there is so much more to see and do in the Outer Banks that we didn't get to do, and some things we did that I would like to do again.  It's so amazing when you get to go somewhere you've dreamed of going and it actually lives up to- and in some ways exceeds- those dreams.  For me, that was the Outer Banks.  It wasn't Ron's first choice of where to go, and there were many times on the drive there that I thought he would turn around and head back home, but I think he mostly enjoyed it.  And the girls seemed to have a blast - although not enough time in the ocean for Aubrey, the water was too cold (for me)!

So, tomorrow is Ron's and my 14th wedding anniversary.  Not the wood anniversary, which is too bad, since that's what Ron and I got each other.  We bought a new dining room table with 4 chairs.  4 nice, upholstered chairs that the girls are not allowed to sit on.  The table is exactly what I wanted, what I pictured in my mind and never thought I'd get.  Thank you, Ron!  It's sitting in the garage right now, waiting for us to figure out how to get it in the house.

And, of course, Aubrey's birthday is not far away.  Still not sure what we're doing to celebrate the big day, number twelve....I have no idea what she wants as a gift, the stuff she asks for, that she says she wants is crazy....so don't ask me!  Guess I've spent too much time thinking about next year's birthday to plan for this year's day.  Although Ron and I did pick up a birthday gift I think she's going to love when we were at the resale shop where we found the dining room set.  Can't wait to give it to her, but I will.

I'm sitting here watching The Voice and it reminds me of how much I love to sing but don't much because I don't want to hurt anyone's hearing.  I have always wanted to take singing lessons - not that I think I'm wonderful or expect to go pro or anything,  but just to be able to sign without worrying that I'm bothering people and that they're trying to find a nice way to tell me to shut up. Someday maybe.  How long should one wait to pursue a dream?

The girls both sing and have nice voices.  They both do odd things with their voices sometimes, too, that makes you not want to listen to them.  Usually Devon is doing weird things or shouting or screaming her songs, but tonight she was singing along with Frozen and I was actually blown away by how good she is. Wow!  Aubrey doesn't sing as much anymore and I miss that.  She used to make up songs and sing them, or sing whatever is currently popular.  Not so much anymore.  I do, occasionally, catch her singing along to the radio in the car, but if you so much as glance her way she stops.  Is that a teen thing?

Are there more teen attributes I should be on the lookout for?  I shudder at the thought!  And please tell me she'll stop eating everything that doesn't walk away soon.  I came home tonight and after a while realized that the hand of bananas I bought yesterday was gone and there was an empty cookie box on the table (the plastic insert which had held the cookies was on the floor of my room, thank you Bella), and who knows what else is gone?  I'm glad she gets a lot of exercise, although she did so much running at school today that she brought on an asthma attack. I don't know how, but she has lost some weight recently....and grown, too, so she's looking good. ...but if the kitchen had a door on it I would keep it locked.  And everyday she asks for her phone back.  Aubrey lost the use of her phone back in January.  I understand she misses it and being in touch with her friends.....not that people talk on phones anymore, but she misses texting.  And taking selfies, like this one.

All we ask if for her to show us that she is at least somewhat responsible, that she does what she knows she is supposed to do (she doesn't have a lot of chores, but it would be nice if she did the few she has without nastiness, rolling of the eyes and/or frequent, and I mean FREQUENT reminders!)  Tonight, she was hanging out at the pool with a couple of friends when Ron found her clothes lying in a pile at the foot of our bed.  Not where they belong.  One of the "jobs" both girls have is to put their dirty clothes into a hamper.  Not that hard, you would think, right?  I think he finally couldn't take it anymore, so he picked them up and walked out of the house.  I had no idea where he went, and I was afraid he took them and threw them in garbage....and the pile included Aubrey's new shoes. But he didn't, I am happy to say.  He walked the pile over to the pool and gave it to Aubrey.  I hope she was at least a little embarrassed.  And, maybe, just maybe, we'll start to see some changes.

So, if we're lucky, the inside of our house will start to have a little less debris cluttering up the floors and furniture. And, since the wind outside has died down, maybe the streets will be less filled with debris, too.









No comments:

Post a Comment