Monday, April 28, 2014

Hidden Messages

I'm sitting in bed watching one of my favorite movies. The Day After Tomorrow.  Don't ask me why I love this movie so much, I have no clue, I just do.  Usually,  a disaster movie has to be pretty bad for me to like it, like Ice Twisters.  There's just something about The Day After Tomorrow that calls to me.  It's just a little but preachy (environment, global warming, the usual stuff) - definitely not as bad as Wall-e!  Independence Day is another one that I watch every time it airs....although I'm not sure about the message in that one....beware of extra-terrestrials?

Not that global warming is a bad topic to be concerned about.  It definitely is, and I try to do what I can,, in my lazy, cheap way, to, well, do what I can.  ETs, not so much.

Been enjoying my Fitbit that I got for Administrative Professional's Day.  Yes, I know it's a Hallmark holiday, but if someone wants to give me an awesome present, who am I to refuse?  I think they want me to get healthier, what do you think?  It is fun, and I do think it will encourage me to walk a little more.....just to see the lights go off.  Devon can't wait to see the flash - and by accident she discovered that if you tap the Fitbit it lights up, so I have to be constantly on guard around her now so she doesn't keep tapping on it.

It's really time for bed, and it's been a busy day, so I should go to sleep now.  I coordinated a roller skating event for the kids from our synagogue which took place for 3+ hours this afternoon.  I didn't skate, but I think the stress of worrying if everything would go right exhausted me!  The kids were all wonderful, the better skaters helping the inexperienced ones, a lot of laughter.  As they say on tv, awesomesauce!  Aubrey and Devon both came and had a blast.  Devon says she has skated before, but I couldn't tell you when.  She had a slow start but finally got to the point where she helped a littler kid.  Aubrey did a lot of helping, she loves skating and, in fact, had just been to the rink Friday night.  Anyhow, the day was a big success and everyone asked me to plan another skating outing.  We'll see.

We're in the final month of school now.  I can't believe it!  I think we have the summer mostly planned out.  I am so appreciative now of the fact that my mother didn't work when I was young enough to have to go to camp.  I loved being able to do as I pleased all summer long.  For me, that mostly meant riding my bike, swimming and reading.  And reading.  And then again reading.  I probably read 20 books a week over the summer when I was in middle and high school.  I wish I could do that now!  Now I'd be thrilled to read one book a week at any time.  And of course the weather was so glorious....upstate New York in the summer is so wonderful.  It's why I can't go visit my family then - makes me want to move back....which I would regret come November, I am sure.

Well, unfortunately for my daughters, they do not get the luxury of a lazy summer.  Aubrey is probably old enough that she could stay home by herself, but she would be bored and the trust level for what she would be doing by herself all day every day is not there.  Maybe next summer.  Devon has a long way to go before she gets to stay home alone for any length of time, poor baby.

Anyhow I try really hard to find them things that they will enjoy for the summer so they get to actually have fun and feel like they got a break from school.  Aubrey has been talking about going to New York for part of the summer, but we have not made any arrangements for that yet either to Ron's mother or to my family. And, of course, Devon wants to do that trip as well.  Not happening!  Maybe in a few years.  Aubrey was 11 the first time she went to New York without us.

Of course, the bright side of a NY trip means no sibling battles, but Devon missed Aubrey terribly last year, so it negates the good by having a sad little sweetie here.  So we'll have to wait and see how the summer pans out.

Anyhow, my wonderful movie ended and Ron put on some Scyfy channel fantasy movie that just isn't the same, so I'm going to turn the tv off and go to bed.  If it's not a serial killer or natural disaster, it's just not for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment