Thursday, March 27, 2014

The best laid plans

I had a plan for how this day was going to end.  I told my boss first thing this morning that I was going to go caffeine-less so I could maybe get to sleep at a decent hour.  Well, I did make it through the day drinking my caffeine-free tea, but am not going to make it to bed early (obviously).

I actually cooked dinner tonight - yea! Of course, Ron was in bed with a headache, so he didn't get any, but since the girls almost finished it all by themselves, it all worked out.  Even cleaned up while I cooked so when dinner was done, the kitchen was clean.  Not a typical occurrence I guarantee you.  And that's the end of the evening as I planned it.  Aubrey and Devon went out to play, not a problem, with Devon being told to be home at 8 to shower and get ready for bed.  8:00 comes and I'm getting ready to go look for her to come in when Aubrey comes in, crying, holding her head in one hand and her other arm at a bent, somewhat odd angle.  Uh oh.

Apparently, she was playing basketball with some friends and, you won't believe this, one of them stepped on her untied shoelace and tripped her!  She fell, hitting her head and catching herself on her elbow.  Ouch! Thinking that the local walk-in orthopedic clinic stays open until 8:30, she and I race to the car to try to get squeezed in.  Devon decides she needs to come, not welcome, so we spend a solid minute prying her out of the car so we can go - driving off with a crying Devon sitting pitifully on grass next to the driveway.  She so knows how to break my heart.  Apparently, she mostly calmed down pretty quickly because she called a few minutes later wanting to know what would happen if she's asleep when I get home.  I told her I wold cover her face with kisses, and that that would be okay,,. so long as she got in the shower NOW.  Okay, Mommy, love you.  How convenient that she forgot that she kicked me as I was getting in the car after removing her from it!  But I don't want a punishment.....who would?!  She lost her bike for tomorrow.

We are making good time to the ortho clinic when I realize my left headlight is not working.  Skipping the original story, I jump out when we get a red light and give the light a good smack.  On it comes.  The guy in the car next to us at the light was ROLLING, and Aubrey and I could see him laughing and gesturing like he was hitting a headlight.  Aubrey begged me to burn rubber getting away from them, she was embarrassed. - but also laughing  I thought it was hysterical.  I'm hoping it's just a loose wire making my headlight pretend to be blinkers (it works, it doesn't work, it works, you get the picture).  Red light turns green and we make it to the clinic at 8:20.  Unfortunately, they closed at 8.  Big sigh.  Off to the next stop, an urgent care facility. Aubrey, of course, asks to go to the one in Altamonte, not the one right near where we are.  Since it is actually a better clinic, I agree and once again we're off.  Arriving at the clinic about a quarter to 9, we are dismayed by the number of cars in the parking lot.  However, there are not a lot of people in the waiting room, which we foolishly take as a good sign.  Another good sign, we assume, is that the people right before us leave when told how much their co-pay would be.  After a half hour or so, we get taken to our assigned cubicle to wait.  And wait.  And wait.finally get seen at 10:45 at which time the doctor decides he needs to do an x-ray.  Not unexpected.  He goes to see the next patient while we get the x-ray done.  Also not unexpected.  It takes what feels like forever....do I need to say it?  Not unexpected.   When the doctor comes in with the good news that nothing is broken,, she might have a sprain, some bruising, and he wants to wrap and sling her arm, it is now after 11. Aubrey at this point, of course, is feeling much better, so of course, she's riding tomorrow.  I don't think so!
11:40 we walk in the door.  Aubrey asks me to put her to bed - glad to do it, sweetie!  I get her all settled, pop into Devon's room to plant so kisses on a sleeping girl and what do I find? No Devon.  Damn.  That means she's asleep in my bed.  Not only do i not feel like lifting up my heavy when she sleeps child to move her, I hate the thought of taking her out of a warm bed and putting her on the cold couch.   And there is no way I could possibly get her upstairs to her room!  To top it off, Ron is sleeping quietly next to Devon - no snoring!  How come I never get a quiet night with no snoring?

So, here I am, on the couch, up later than I had planned, tying away while watching tv (Property Brothers tonight).  I can hear my mother laughing.  Man plans, God laughs.


No comments:

Post a Comment